Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The good guys carry the fire

I just finished read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. They recently made it into a movie and I was reading about how the movie was filmed partly here in Washington and it inspired me to read the book. I'm glad it did.

The Road is the story of a boy and his father in a apocalyptic world (we are not told what happened to civilization only that it is no more). All they want is to reach the coast. Along the way they encounter various other people surviving in the barren ash covered land. Everyone from a very old man traveling alone to a cellar full of people whose final destination is the stomachs of their captures. Never have I read such a bleak depiction of what could be, however through the darkness a light burns bright.

The heart of the book comes between the relationship of the boy and his father, who are never named. As they progress in their journey their bond is often tried and at times seems ready to fall apart. However it is very clear that neither of them would have made it thus far without the other. What I loved most of their relationship was how McCarthy was able to show two very different characters living inside of both of them, passing traits back and forth.

The desolate setting is masterfully designed while every page still screams that humanity and kindness can exist in such a place. He achieves this all with beautifully constructed prose in a style that is completely original. I have to tip my hat to McCarthy. If ever there was a "drull" novel it would be this.

1 comment:

  1. I saw a trailer for The Road at a movie recently - yes they have movie trailers in the "second" world, about twice as many as we do actually - and it looked pretty terrifying. But everyone says the book is about the kindness in humanity even though it's also about cannibalism... not sure if I want to see it or not.

    ReplyDelete