Thursday, January 21, 2010

A knock at the door

I had a dream last night...

I was supposed to meet with one of my customers. He was staying at a hotel downtown and I was told to meet one of his aides at a store on 6th and Pine. None of the store that are there were there. I was in a variety store on the northeast corner. They sold hats, t-shirts, bags and miscellaneous trinkets. The vast majority of the items seemed to be targeted at me specifically. I was in line to buy some items when I noticed a man in a black trench coat at the door. He was staring straight at me. I pointed to myself as if to say "me?" and he nodded. I set down the items I was going to buy and walked out to meet the man.

It was raining heavily. The roads were completely dilapidated and littered with potholes of various sizes that had filled with water. I danced around the puddles trying to move as quickly as my guide without getting my foot caught in a trap. He didn't seem to have the same concern. He walked a perfectly straight path even if it meant stepping into a pool of water.

As we neared the hotel I could see his trajectory would lead him to the largest pool I'd seen yet. I yelled for him to stop, turn and move around it, but he didn't. He took a step and then disappeared down into the abyss. I rushed to the edge of the hole, but could only see the water at the top. I reached in and felt around till I found something that seemed to be a human hand. I grasped it and pulled as hard as I could. There was a lot of tension at first but as soon as his hand broke the surface all resistance disappeared and I ended up throwing the man across the street. He thanked me quickly and continued on to our destination.

We arrived at a hotel like the Sheraton, but not. Everything was exquisite but strange. We took an ebony elevator up to the top floor. The layout was unlike any hotel I'd ever seen. None of the rooms had bathrooms and were layed out in some sort of abstract fractal pattern. It was like being in an MC Escher picture. I was shown to my room and waited there for a lifetime. There was nothing in the room except for a bed. The walls were completely blank. Time seemed to vary in speeds that I couldn't understand and couldn't change. I had become convinced that I was dead and this was my purgatory, until there was a knock at the door - and my alarm went off...

No comments:

Post a Comment