Friday, September 18, 2009

In search of orcas

I fell asleep last night with a lot of things on my mind, then I dreamt about orcas...

I was standing on the corner of 15th and Market when I was approached by a faceless man. His lack of expression was startling but even more so was the fact that he was able to communicate without a mouth. I didn't hear his words in my ears, but more as if his thoughts were previously ingrained in my mind and I was just recalling them. He told me that I had to find the orcas and they'd answer any questions that I might have. And with that he vanished as quickly as a false sense of deja vu.
I searched all over the surrounding neighborhood searching for the animals (I'm not sure why I spent so much time searching on land). I wandered through large open fields of grass and down tight alleys lined with apartments and town homes. Everywhere I went was deserted in such a way that made me feel they left because they knew I was coming. As I passed through a small playground the swings still moved back and forth as if they'd just been abandoned.
I'd been walking for some time before making my way to a section of the shoreline that was surrounded in industry. I stared out for a very long time at the Sound trying to figure out what the man had meant by "any questions that I might have". Suddenly a lone orca came close to the shore and expelled a large amount of water through it's blowhole. The water reached heights that I would have figured to be impossible, raining down on everything within sight. I looked up into the falling water as it engulfed me. I felt glorious and alive.

Then Amun woke me up. I felt let down, but that's probably how it was supposed to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment