Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A nickel and two pennies

I just finished another draft of the 7 project. I'm starting to get really pleased with it. I figure its the fifth draft and as it was brought to my attention that means I only have two more. And while I don't mean to start putting the cart in front of the horse I also have been thinking about what comes after I complete this project. I'm starting to think that I may work more on the bus stories project. You might remember I've done 7 and 43. I also have a draft that I did about the 54. Maybe with a little focus I could work it all into a larger piece. Then maybe the novel? But again, that's not for a little while...

Here's a part of the new draft. I think this is the section that changed the most...

Klara, hair softly rustled, exchanges a long look with Nick, having forgotten their past. A confusion and intrigue neither of them understands. I blink and Billy Pilgrim appears sitting sideways with filthy flamingo eyes. He would be wearing tattered sweats and no shoes. Montana Wildhack is in a wheelchair with a child. Her disheveled hair tangling and straightening in Billy's vision while his eyes glazed over in time. Billy can see the blood of past mistakes on Nick’s hands as he goes through a small bag of trash on the seat beside him. He begins to pull items from the bag; an empty pack of gum, the weekly circular from a local super market, two cigarette butts, an old baseball. He begins to repack his rubbish when Klara sends him a suggestive look and motions to the vacant seat beside her. Nick plans his move carefully before following her suggestion. Montana notices Billy’s exposed toes and removes her shoes and passes them to him. "Go ahead try them on. They'll keep your feet warm." Klara smiles and looks out the window as she reaches for Nick’s hand. Billy put the shoes on and smiled like no human had before. Nick slowly moves his hands over Klara’s lap and releases his grasp. Her hands float to her knees with movements like wind. “Thank you,” she says quietly before he stands up with his bag and leaves her again. Billy, wearing his new shoes, replaces Nick on the seat beside Klara. She is startled at first but something about the rippling of his eyes sooths her fears. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out two pennies and a nickel. He holds them in the palm of his hand half way between them both. Klara is captivated with the color and shape of the coins. Billy clenches his fist, overturns his hand, “These are for you.” Klara opens her hand, “I don’t understand.” Billy ages before her, “…in time,” and with a violet light and hum he is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment