Friday, August 6, 2010

Let's talk about bread

It's such a simple thing. Some flour, water, yeast, whatever else you fancy. It's such a staple in our society it's become the center of many idioms most notably "bread and butter".


Now I'm sure you all have noticed that things are more expensive nowadays. It used to be that if you were spending $5 for a loaf of bread you were getting some gourmet olive loaf laced with diamonds. Now your $5 gets you a standard loaf of bread. Sure there are cheaper alternatives, like Wonder Bread, but I just can't get that. I need something with real grains.

The bullshit is that grain prices are rising even higher. Pretty soon here it'll be $10 for some bread. BREAD!!! It's absurd.


Now the ingredients are going to be going up in price as well, but I think it's time for me to get serious about baking my own bread. It's really not that hard, I've done it before with a bread machine. With a machine it's a no brainer, but since I've moved out on my own I've been avoiding more machines in my home (I don't even own a microwave), so I'm going to have to learn to do it the old fashion way (MNom I'm looking in your direction).




Where am I going with this? I want your bread recipes!!! I know you've all got one laying around. I want it. Anyone who sends me a good bread recipe will receive a loaf of bread from me as a thank you, either of the recipe you submit or a different one. If other people are interested in being a part of this exchange let me know. If there are enough people interested it might move beyond bread into a whole assortment of DIY foodstuffs.

Well that's about it. But I feel like I should add something more so I can include another picture of bread. Mmmm bread.


Yes that'll do nicely.

1 comment:

  1. Recently, I've been making sourdough from Casey's starter culture. 1 cup starter, 1 cup warm water, 2 cups flour to start, let it sit for a few hours. Then go back and add 3-4 cups of flour, working it in with a spoon, then your hands. Knead. Then put it onto a baking sheet, into a loaf pan, etc and let it rise overnight or for a few hours. Bake for 50 min at 400 with a pan of ice also in the oven (keeps the crust from breaking your teeth later).

    I still haven't figured out how to get a taller loaf of sourdough, so if you do... let me know!

    ReplyDelete