Monday, June 14, 2010

Dear Stalker: Give me a job

Someone with the National Park Service was stalking my blog. It doesn't really bother me. I was a bit surprised to see that someone in DC was cruising posts for half an hour. Thought big brother was coming after me until I found out the source was the NPS. Of all the government offices out there I think they're the most non threatening. In fact I'd work for them if given the opportunity. So to the NPS people following my blog I have this to say: Give me a job. Any job would do. As long as I can spent a couple weeks a year getting paid to chill in the parks...

Speaking of the NPS, I started watching the Ken Burns documentary The National Parks: America's Best Idea. It's been really good so far. I'm about halfway through. I didn't realize it was 12 hours long when I started watching it. So far the most interesting part has been about the flooding of Hetch Hetchy in Yosemite. You might remember that when I visited the park I went to Hetch Hetchy. Seeing all the old pictures from before the dam was build was really sad. The place was gorgeous and they buried it in water. Nothing would please me more than for San Francisco to find a better place to get their water from and tear down the damn dam. I think that John Muir said it best, "One may as well dam for water tanks the people's cathedrals and churches, for no holier temple has ever been consecrated by the heart of man."...

The documentary is also loaded with stuff about John Muir, who was fascinating. I had no idea that before heading out west Muir's plan was to hike all the way to South American and find the head waters of the Amazon. That's hard core. I could also really get behind that guys philosophy. I think I'm going to have to find a good biography about him. I totally agree that in nature you can find the most impressive "cathedrals", more breathtaking than any church in Europe. It makes me want to see more. I guess I just need to be patient. Two more months and I'll get to check out Rocky Mountian NP and a bunch of others around Utah...

Don't you agree?


Yosemite Valley


Thunder Creek, North Cascades


Mount Rainier

No comments:

Post a Comment