Monday, July 7, 2008

The hospital, deer carcasses and purple robes

I've been dreaming a lot lately. This weekend it seemed much more than usual. I'm not exactly sure why, it just happens...

I was running through a hospital, from an unknown figure, wearing the standard light blue patient's gown. As I ran from wing to wing, the hospital was enormous, I eventually stumbled upon a young man with a skate board. As I passed him he looked up at me and said, "You'll get there faster on a board." At which point he launched the skate board in my direction and without missing a step I was now skating through the emergency ward. I rounded a corner and without warning was pulled into an examination room where 3 nurses were tending to a newly born child. One of the nurses picked up the child and presented it to me, "Here is your son." I was so dumbfounded I didn't speak at first. Finally I found the words, "Who is the mother?" The nurses chuckled slightly, "Well you are." I looked at the other two nurses who just smiled at me. "Well then who is the father?" "You are." Then one of the other nurses came close to me and whispered in my ear, "Take care of that child, for you are one." The room was then empty except for myself, the skate board and the child. A man entered the room, at first I thought that he was some kind of doctor but he identified himself as my father (he looked nothing like my father) and said that he was here to help. He took the baby from me and began to use gauze to wrap the child onto the skate board until it was completely covered. He then picked up the cocoon and handed it to me, "You must take care of this package. Let no one see it." I looked at him blankly, "I don't understand." He simply replied, "In time you will."...

The forest was dark and I was sitting before a campfire. There were many other men, none who I recognized, all laughing and drinking as they cooked roughly butchered animal flesh. The deer they had killed was lying a short distance away and appeared to still be alive despite the large section removed from it's abdomen. The men talked about hunting and warfare, we seemed to be at war with another "tribe" in the area. A large man sat not far from me, silently, abstaining from the rest of the activities. I walked over and sat next to him. I asked him his name but he didn't reply. His eyes were constantly fixed on the fire. He then turned to me slowly, "Have you ever sat and appreciated the fire?" "Many times sir," I replied quickly. "Then you are familar with it's dance?"...

The room was decorated in red and purple, lit only by candles. Woman were all around the room, wearing simple scarfs over their breasts. I was young, no more than ten. There was no signs of modern life anywhere. Shrines lined the edge of the room depicting various gods. I sat for a long time just observing the room and all it's intricacy, until a group of men entered, dressed in metal armor and holding long spears. Following the men was another man wearing purple robes. As soon as he entered the room he took notice of my presence. "Why is there a child in here!" Immediately the armed men moved toward me. The last thing I remember was a feeling of complete terror and lack of control...

1 comment:

  1. That's an amazing dream. I've heard writing your dreams down while fresh in your mind can help you remember them. This totally reminds me of Jung's archetypes. So have an inner child, or inner self to which your conscious selves are both mother and father, and your offspring seems foreign...you are surprised to learn it exists. I've read a couple articles recently that say dreams are thought to play a major role in committing experiences to memory. If that's the case, there must be some sort of analogy or interpretation made subconsciously that can help us make sense out of our experiences.

    ReplyDelete