Friday, February 26, 2010

"The only way out is through"

I was Enneagram'd on Wednesday by the amazingly talented and always pleasant MNom. It was interesting to say the least. For those of you who aren't familiar the Enneagram is a psychological profile. We didn't go through the entire test but I think that she was able to successfully identify my personality type: 9 - The Peacemaker.

The quick description of this is "The Easygoing, Self-Effacing Type: Receptive, Reassuring, Agreeable, and Complacent". Which can be me. Here's so more "highlights" of my personality type:

"They are usually creative, optimistic, and supportive, but can also be too willing to go along with others to keep the peace."
"no type is more devoted to the quest for internal and external peace for themselves and others. They are typically “spiritual seekers” who have a great yearning for connection with the cosmos, as well as with other people."
"When Nines are in balance with their Instinctive Center and its energy, however, they are like a great river, carrying everything along with it effortlessly."
"Ironically, therefore, the only type the Nine is not like is the Nine itself. Being a separate self, an individual who must assert herself against others, is terrifying to Nines."
"Nines tend to focus on the “bright side of life” so that their peace of mind will not be shaken. But rather than deny the dark side of life, what Nines must understand is that all of the perspectives presented by the other types are true, too. Nines must resist the urge to escape into “premature Buddhahood” or the “white light” of the Divine and away from the mundane world."

I thought for a while about it after I got home and the more I thought about it the more I thought it wasn't me. Then I read deeper. Now if I'm following this all correctly when you can be stressed, average or growth. As a 9 when I'm in a stressed environment I tend to regress to being more like a 3 - The Loyalist (The Committed, Security-Oriented Type: Engaging, Responsible, Anxious, and Suspicious), which is totally true, well maybe not the responsible part.

When I'm trending towards growth I'm 3 - The Acheiver (The Success-Oriented, Pragmatic Type: Adaptive, Excelling, Driven, and Image-Conscious). There are definitely times in my life that this is the truth. I think I'm leaning more that direction at this juncture. At least I hope that I am.

However it's all pretty interesting. I'd be interested to hear what category everyone else falls into. Hit it up in the comments if you so desire.

3 comments:

  1. The two primary things I'd argue against in the 9 are agreeable and complacent. Those are not words that come to mind when I think of you.

    I would agree that you have a tendency toward peacemaking/keeping and that you're a spiritual seeker. Those are two things I love about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MNom here. One thing I'd like to point out is that you chose your type. I merely read the types out loud to you :)

    One thing I think is interesting is that you have more books on the Bible than any Christians I've known! And you definitely carry everyone along with you with your enthusiasm and energy, when it comes to parties, art, brewing, recycling, politics... I could go on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MNom, we need to plan an art day. I'm going to FB you.

    ReplyDelete