Monday, September 13, 2010

I'm going to tell you a story

It's the a story I like to call "My Saturday". 

I woke up pretty early for a weekend, 7:15am. Probably because I went to bed at 9 o'clock. I thought about going back to sleep, but decided it was best to just get going on the day. After watching C-SPAN for an hour I got myself ready to go apple picking. MNom got me involved with a local volunteer group that goes around picking fruit that would otherwise go to waste and then we donate it to local charities. The tree we were working with was giant!

The picture doesn't do it justice, but you get an idea


It was covered in fruit. The bad part was most of it being too far up for us to reach or not yet ripe. That being said we still harvested over 165 pounds! The plan is to go back on this coming Sunday to get a bunch more. 

After the picking we (NESF, MNom, EA and myself) went down to the Hi-Life for lunch. Good peoples, good times.

Next up was the Washington v Syracuse game. I swooped up PMRob and we watched the game at what used to be Goldie's on 45th, can't remember the name at the moment. Great game! I was more than a little disappointed with the loss to BYU and to be honest wasn't sure what to make of the season after that. The 41-20 victory was a much needed reassurance. 

After the game things were destine to get interesting. 

You see I graduated high school, ten years ago to be exact, and Saturday was our reunion. I'd been torn about going. Everyone from high school that I like I still talk to, so I didn't see much point in going. However when NESF told me that he was thinking about it I gave it some more thought and finally decided it'd be entertaining if nothing else. 

I have my dad's car while he's in San Diego so I offered to drive down to Des Moines, mostly for karma points since I'm never the DD I figured it's about time. No one was really sure how many people to expect. I'd imagined showing up and there'd be 10 other people, boy was I wrong. The place was packed. I've yet to hear an official number but I'd guess about 150 people. 

I chatted with a few people I knew marginally back in the day. The majority of my friends back then were either in a different class or the type of people that I wouldn't expect to see at a reunion, but I had some good conversations nonetheless. 

I actually really enjoyed watching everyone else get smashed. My whole plan was to get PMRob to make an ass of himself, which I think I accomplished in a small sense. The unexpected entertainment came from Raybies. He'd driven down, but after a couple of beer I told him that I'd drive him back to his car tomorrow if he wanted. Best decision of the night. 

Things started to wind down at the reunion but there was word of an after party happening at a Chinese bar around the block. We rolled down there and sure enough 20-30 of em were still going strong with the addition of Karaoke. All the songs selected were the type of music I'd expect from the crowd, "Friends in low places" and the like. Things got pretty sloppy all around at this point. One girl showed up, stumbled into herself and then promptly lied down and kissed the floor. You know, standard stuff in Des Moines. 

We finally got kicked out that place just before 2am. Then it was off to JITB! Oh late night Jack-in-the-Box, what would we do without you? There was a little musical cars in the drive thru and then we headed up to the school to eat our grease in the old parking lot. 
A new neon sign replaced the tattered old failed art project sign
In the last 10 years Mt Rainier has undergone massive changes. They demolished the old campus of haphazardly placed buildings and portables with a giant 2-story building that houses everything. We weren't able to go inside being it was the middle of the night on a Saturday, but we walked around the building reminiscing about old tales of debauchery. Next thing I knew it was 3:15 and time to call it a night. I was getting tired while Raybies and PMRob were getting hung over. 

In the end a good time was had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment