Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Prostitution and Cannibalism

I can't believe that I'm even going to post this blog but here goes...

What is everyone's opinion on prostitution? I've heard a lot about this in the last couple days and am interested to know where you all stand. Should we legalize prostitution? If so do we just open up the market and let it run its course or should it be state regulated in the same way we regulate liquor here in Washington? Or should we continue on with our current plan which hopes to eliminate the oldest profession known to mankind?

Now I think this one is a no brainer but Swirly keeps bringing it up. Where does everyone stand on Cannibalism?

One more bit...how does everyone feel about this interactive blogging? I think I might do more of it.

4 comments:

  1. start a prostitution union, which would actually make the city a sort of 'pimp'. make everyone get tested and become legal card carrying prostitutes, and make them pay taxes just like everybody else. maybe even take it off the streets and into brothels.. oh yeah.. i also like cannabalism

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Swirly - regulate that shit! In exchange for regular health care and the protection of a union, prostitutes should have to pay taxes like everyone else. As for cannibalism... one of my most interesting classes in college was a Spanish class about cannibalism in literature. Most historic examples of cannibalism were falsified in an attempt to justify to people back home that these societies needed to be colonized and Godified.

    Per transportation: I honestly don't know what would be most effective. I'm a big fan of multiple solutions, and I think a combination of busses, light rail, carpooling (I'm still shocked by how many people drive solo! In rush hour!) and whatever else we can think of. Every city in history that has tried to implement mass transport took decades, went way over budget, and was met with public resistance. So, we're just in that phase right now. But even if in the short term light rail isn't much used, it may be a different story in 10 years - plus, the more lines we build, the more useful it will be. It was with difficulty that I voted for this latest tax increase for Sound Transit (though I voted against that other lame one that basically costs $80 million to replace HOV signs) because I think it's important, though I also think it will fail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So if we legalize prostitution how would you then regulate the locations permitting such activity? I'm going to be extremely selfish here, but I don't want it in my neighborhood (although its already there) and I think that a lot of citizens feel the same way. So do we create a sort of "Red Light District" and if so where does it exist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe legalization would allow it to be more of a call service so there wouldn't need to be a specific location? Or, there's always Pioneer Square. Anything goes there.

    ReplyDelete