Monday, January 13, 2014

There's a lesson in here somewhere.

I saw it. I thought "this is gonna happen". I could have stopped it from happening then, but I didn't. Now it's happened. I'd be lying if I said this was the first time...


When I walked into the living room it was clear that something was out of place and while this was a common occurrence, today was different. As soon as I'd rounded the top of the stairs I could see it sitting there, a large ceramic pitcher we'd be using a vase to display a large bouquet of dried flowers and other various ornamental plants. Instead of sitting centered on the makeshift kitchen counter it was placed on the carpet, only slightly off the main path to three of the bedrooms. This was when I first thought about it being knocked over, not maliciously mind you, more that someone wouldn't notice it was so wide and catch a cat tail on the hem of their pant or an overly excited Wes dog tail shatters the porcelain as he tries to muster the strength of Atlas to hold his bladder just a little bit longer. It would have taken a small amount of effort to reach down and move it back to it's original safety but I thought to myself, "someone must have put it there for a reason, it's best not to disturb." I released the dog from behind the door and watched carefully as the scene I had just envisioned nearly took place at the speed I had predicted. We were lucky this time and in that found a false sense of security. Three more times we passed by without incident and I forgot entirely about the inevitable, until it happened. My thoughts were sidetracked from the never ending war in Alexander's former empire and hazy from too much weed so it came as a complete surprise when the left seam of my pant leg brushed just enough against the foliage to cause the entire still life to become animated and fall to the floor, spreading dried seeds and petals over the stained blue carpet. I just stared down at what had happened. Why hadn't I just moved the pitcher earlier? I wondered if there's a part of me that wanted this to happen, need it to happened, a part that feeds on the chaos created. A pining within for the days when Shiva ruled over men and all that existed did so only to be destroyed. We are so focus on bringing order to our surrounding it seems no one takes the time to stop and ask if the alternative is better. I spent far too long entranced by the situation.  
Fallen Vase by Mofazio (deviantart)





No comments:

Post a Comment