Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Alive

This morning when I got to work I decided that my gtalk status needed to change. I thought to myself "I need something that's reassuring that life is good" I thought for a few minutes and went with "Alive", because in the end what's greater than being alive? Apparently few people share my thought process on this one. 


Almost immediately I got a series of messages asking if I was okay, was I dead before and things of the like. Every one seemed to think that there was some horrible tragedy or near death experience in my life that led to my use of this individual word. I was chatting with NESF for a few minutes about this when he made the comment, "This is an interesting phenomena. Using the word alive on its own rarely sounds reassuring." I couldn't help but wonder why that is.


I have to stop for just a second here. This cup of coffee I'm drinking is amazing. Sorry about that, but I thought you'd all really want to know.


Isn't being alive the greatest part about our existence? If we weren't alive we wouldn't be at all. However by using the word "alive" by itself I think that we immediately take it as a comparison. If someone is alive they are not dead, and if they're going as far as to say that they're alive, they must have had an encounter with the possibility of not being alive. 


I guess what this all breaks down to is death. Merely mentioning the word alive brings with it the idea of dead or death. It doesn't have to. But now I'm just rambling, as if this were something more earlier on. Here's some tube videos:





No comments:

Post a Comment