Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Are you the Cyclops?

I was walking in Pioneer Square with Nathan and Morgan. It was snowing. We stopped into a bar for a drink where we met up with some other people. We drank and talked about nothing. Soon the other people decided to switch locations, "We're going to hit up a cash machine and then head out to Cyclops."
"Alright, we'll meet ya there."
We left the bar shortly after they did. The streets were packed with people waiting in line for their time of an ice rink in the middle of Occidental Square. Children were bundled up so that only their red cheeks shown through the masses of wool. Their parents rubbed paper cups of coffee while huddling near each other trying to retaining any escaping heat that they could.
We were wandering down an icy sidewalk when a very short man appeared, I don't want to go as far as saying his was a little person, but he might have been. He was dressed more suitably for a calm fall afternoon than a snowy night. As he passed we were intently discussing the where the location of this other bar was. When he was no more than 3 feet away, seemingly beneath me, he looked up and said "Are you the Cyclops?"
I was slightly taken back. What a strange question to pose walking down the street, but still its relevance had to be more than coincidence. By the time I thought to ask him if he might know the location he was gone.
We went a few more blocks, becoming more and more agitated in our search. Suddenly the small man appeared again. This time while we were crossing through the square. I didn't even see him approach before I could hear him, "Are you the Cyclops?"
I wanted to grab him. Shake him until he told me where to go. Until he told me who he was. But again, he was gone before I could even move.
We left the square on my request. I didn't tell them but it was secretly in case we saw the man again I hoped to actually catch him. It began to snow heavily. We talked of abandoning the second bar. Then it suddenly came to me, "It's in Belltown!"
I said it with such sudden shock that Morgan jumped slight and nearly fell on the ice if it weren't for Nathan catching her in mid air.
Having finally determined our destination we abandoned it. It was far too long to walk there given the conditions. After an long and amicable farewell we parted ways.
I returned to the square on my way to a bus stop. There were just as many people as before, but everyone seemed to be moving at half speed. Words slowed to the point that they sounds more like meaningless groans that intelligent thoughts. I reached the other end of the square and turn back for one more chance to see the small man. I must have looked for an hour before finally abandoning my resolve.
The walk to the bus stop was depressing me more with every step. People crowded around the small shelters for warmth while I stood motionless collecting snow. Finally a bus appeared and I went to board the front door. The door windows were steamy preventing me from getting a preview of my future interaction. The doors opened and a small man driving the bus said, "Come aboard, Cyclops."


No comments:

Post a Comment